Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dwarf Sunflower


Common Names: Dwarf Sunflower, Sunflower 'Dwarf Sensation'
Species: Helianthus annuus 'Dwarf Sensation'
Family: ASTERACEAE

This is a cultivar of Dwarf Sunflower called Dwarf Sensation. It only grows about a foot or so tall and often produces multiple flower heads, a feature the full sized cultivars rarely seem to have (although in my case usually only one large one with several smaller auxiliary heads, perhaps I need to fertilise them more next time). Although the seed of all sunflower cultivars may be edible, I can tell you first hand that the seeds I collected from these ones had very little flesh and weren't nice at all to eat. That wasn't really the point of growing these though; I just wanted to enjoy the bright, sunny flowers while they lasted.